bluetooth keyboards and N900

I have an N810 and use it with a variety of bluetooth keyboards as a pocket
laptop (running a Debian chroot with Emacs, Scheme->C, and LaTeX). I was
planning on upgrading to an N900 and have one on order. But the crucial use
case for me is to continue using it with a bluetooth keyboard as a pocket
laptop. A thread on talk reports that there are issues with doing this:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34872&highlight=bluetooth+keyboard

and various bugzilla entries report bluetooth issues in general and bluetooth
keyboard issues in particular as wontfix. This could be a showstopper for me
as it would break my central use case. And I would need to cancel my order and
consider buying something else (like a Pandora, Netwalker, or M1/M2).

My question is this: how difficult would this be for a user or the community
to fix without support from Nokia? Is it simply a matter of doing some xmodmap
calls or modifying some keymap file (like /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/...
in Debian)? Will it require recompiling a kernel module? (Does the community
have the necessary header files to do that?) Or is it impossible for a user or
the community to fix?

    Thanks,
    Jeff (http://www.ece.purdue.edu/~qobi)