Re: Help with Maemo Virtual Image Install Documentation

Hi,

[jot] Just some more comments below...

------------------------------
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:16:33 -0500
From: "R. G. Newbury" <newbury@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help with Maemo Virtual Image Install Documentation
To: Jarmo.Tikka@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: pc-connectivity-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tero.a.salminen@xxxxxxxxx,
        maemo-users@xxxxxxxxx

Jarmo.Tikka@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> And thanks a lot about Maemo SDK Virtual Image feedback. I added also another mailing list into this response (people constructing our images read more that list).
>
> Some comments below.
>

>> in a virtualbox, but man it was FRUSTRATING.
>
> Great that you actually explained below why you were frustrated :) so that we can comment and even fix issues.

That was the exact point. It DID work, but I spent a couple of hours
trying various combinations of stuff, including creating virtuals in
VirtualBox because what I was trying did not work (This, despite the
fact that the documentation strongly implied that I did not have to do
that. It was correct, but I was doing the wrong things.

[jot] One additional challenge in our Virtual Image installation is that we support VirtualBox, VMWare and QEmu with the same image file.

[jot] We have to use VMWare as the priority #1 environment because licensing issues VirtualBox has. The open source version of VirtualBox is not enough for our image and closed one has only this experimental license if you do not want to pay from it. And QEmu is much slower than either VMWare or VirtualBox.But the point taken we should anyhow improve our VirtualBox installation support.

> We have a problem that most standard compression tools have restriction about 2GB max file size. Compression tools I know which are commonly available and cabable of handling > 2GB archives are 7-Zip and WinZip. Because 7-Zip is free and available also for Linux we decided to use it for compression. 7-Zip is cabable of creating compatible zip format with other tools (like WinZip) but splitted archives are not compatible.
>
> Why we then use splited archives :). Well our download page for image distribution archive files has been implemented with PHP and PHP seems to have that same max file size limit. Actually PHP limit sems to be for some odd reason smaller than 2 GB.

I thought that that might be the reason for splitting the files. I
didn't particularly mind finding and installing 7zip. What bothered me
was that I had no idea of what the process was, or what the result
*should* be. And you already know that, so you could have told me!

[jot] We can improve these installation instructions for our final Virtual Image version.

> We have not had so much time for usability and installation issues as we have concentrated on functionality.
>
> For the final version we can check what can be done to even more simplify installation process.
>
> Thanks a lot about comments.

Fixing this is easy. I will revise the script, including adding a stanza
to allow installation in another spot and e-mail you.

[jot] Thanks a lot. Please send any comment also to the eclipse-integration@xxxxxxxxx list. Unfortunately I do not nowadays enough time to actively read all maemo lists.

I'm glad to know that someone is listening, and I am glad to help where
I can. I had a hard time installing scratchbox-1 and a I cannot being to
  figure out how you were able to encapsulate an entire ubuntu install
with scratchbox etc into one installable virtual image. That's about 5
or 6 magic spells in a row!

[jot] We know the installation of maemo development environment in general is unnecessary complicated process. This is why we implemented installation Wizards to the Eclipse IDE for those who do not want to do all installation manually. With Eclipse it is enough to install Maemo Eclipse IDE environment (Eclipse and ESbox plugin) and Maemo PC Connectivity. After that Eclipse IDE has installation wizards to install rest of the environment like Maemo SDK (with Ubuntu Server Virtual Image for Windows and Mac :), C++, Python, Qt4, Flasher-3.5, ... And of course our wizards install development environment also to the connected Maemo device in addition to the SDK :).

Cheers,
//Jarmo