Re: Mapping the N900 keyboard?

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 04:50:23PM -0700, Qole wrote:
> I'll try on the users list first, and then I'll try the development list.
>
> How does one map custom keys on the N900?

I've had partial success by doing this:

 $ xkbcomp :0 default.xkb
 $ vi default.xkb

comment out the two rules that cause syntax errors:

//  interpret AccessX_Enable+AnyOfOrNone(all) {
//      action= ""> //  };

//  interpret MouseKeys_Accel_Enable+AnyOfOrNone(all) {
//      action= ""> //  };

Now you can restore the settings back by running

 $ xkbcmp default.xkb :0

if you screw up and end up with a nonfunctional keyboard.

Next

 $ cp default.xkb mg.xkb
 $ vi mg.xkb

   key <RGHT> {
       type= "FOUR_LEVEL",
       symbols[Group1]= [       Right,       Right,       Tab,       Tab ]
   };

 $ xkbcomp mg.xkb :0

and now Fn+Right arrow is a Tab key.

Sadly I don't know enough about xkbcomp to see if it's possible to make
it load incomplete maps on top of the current configuration, just to
update a few symbols without replicating the full configuration.

> None of the changes I make to /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51
> have any effect (yes I reboot after changing the file).

Maybe the files in /var/cache/xkb contain precompiled versions of those?

I'm not adventurous enough to go and start editing files in /usr/.
Although creating a new symbols file in there and loading it on top of
the defaults with setxkbmap ought to maybe work...

Thank you for your help. That works to get me started.

Now to return your favour:

Replace
       type= "FOUR_LEVEL",
       symbols[Group1]= [       Right,       Right,       Tab,       Tab ]
with
       type= "PC_FN_LEVEL2",
       symbols[Group1]= [       Right,       Tab ]

and you will retain the ability to highlight text with shift-right arrow.

--
enthusiast, n. "One whose mind is wholly possessed and heated by what engages it; one who is influenced by a peculiar fervor of mind; an ardent and imaginative person."