Re: Internet connection sharing

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 12:29:10AM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> You have:
>
>   * 1 (one) Nokia N900
>   * 1 (one) USB cable for the N900
>   * 1 (one) laptop running Linux
>   * 1 (one) USB 3g dongle with a SIM slot for the laptop
>   * 1 (one) SIM card
>
> Your goal: get both the laptop and the N900 online.
> Am I reinventing the bicycle?  Are there working solutions?

It seems that
http://pc-connectivity.garage.maemo.org/2nd_edition/index.html wants to
be a solution, but it's Internet Sharing is mostly focused on sharing
the host's connection to the device, rather than the other way around.
The other way around is confusing -- why should I specify how my N900 is
connected?  Figure it out by looking at the default route!  Besides, on
Maemo 5 the PC connectivity manager doesn't let me select "cellular
connection".  And then, despite the doc saying

  Under "Share internet connection with" option, you can check the interfaces (Usb, Bluetooth and/or Wlan) to share Internet with

I see no sign of "Share internet connection with".

Just give me iptables and I'll be happy.

Marius Gedminas
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins,
they are quick to anger and have no need for subtlety.