Re: IDEA: make N800 emulate a USB CD-ROM, possible? yes/no?

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Gary <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Fernando Cassia wrote:
>> I really really really hate having to burn CDs and DVD-Rs to test new
>> linux versions. If I could just download the ISO images to from my
>> N800 and then enable some software
> Assuming the maemo kernel includes support for ISO9660 and loopback
> devices, one
> could just 'mount file.iso /path -t iso9660 -o loop'. Someone else here
> would have to
> confirm or deny if it's supported by the stock kernel.
>
> q.v. the emelFM2 file manager with IsoMount:
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=20809
> http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/emelfm2
> http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFiles/emelfm2/EmelInfo.htm
>
> -Gary

Gary: that would be half the story. You´re missing the point, and the
most important part of my idea: creating a piece of software on the
N800 that takes control of the USB port and impersonates a "USB
CD-ROM" device, so you can just mount a Iso9660 image, run the
software, and then plug the N800 to a PC and have the PC bios boot
from the "USB CD-ROM" when in fact data is being sent from the n800
reading from a iso9660 file on one of the sd cards.

In fact, "mounting" the iso9660 on the N800-Linux side is not even needed.

What is needed is the code to make the N800 appear to the USB bus as a
USB CD-rom, and then read contents from the iso image and send those
as cd "blocks" of data down the usb wire.

FC