Re: N800 etc.

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Peter Flynn <peter.flynn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[Java not only a language but a platform]

> Thats part of Suns stupid marketing strategy. Its a language and a
> platform. C++ is a language. QT is a platform. Oh hell, according to
> the marketing Java is an OS as well.

It's a language. There are platforms and OS-like applications built with it, but it's a language.

No, you´re wrong. It´s a platform AND a language. In fact in the Java 1.x days Sun CLEARLY promoted it like that. Then the language jihad got over and the platform issue mostly disappeared from marketing. But it´s STILL a platform.

You can write code in Python or Ruby and run it in the java platform thanks to Jython and JRuby. H*ck, you can even use IBM´s Netrexx and write Rexx code and end up with Java bytecode...

> Both GTK and QT are plattforms which are just as powerfull as Java.
> The need for Java on Maemo is pretty limited.

Possibly, but essential in my case. It's a deal-breaker: no Java means I can't do my work, which requires several applications currently requiring Java. If Java isn't available for the N900, I won't buy it, and nor will any of my colleagues in the same business, several of whom bought N8*0s after seeing mine do what it does.

Exactly my point. Nokia has a LOT to win by shipping the device with a Sun Java VM preinstalled. But they won´t listen, I´ve been saying this to anybody that would hear -both at Nokia and elsehwere- but it seems to me they´re too cozy with MSFT now...

Ironically, Symbian has better Java support than Maemo...

http://developer.symbian.com/main/documentation/runtime_environments/java/

Of course, that´s because that decision was made a lot of time before the current Nokia-MSFT honeymoon.
I bet they´d drop Java support from Symbian if they could.

FC