Re: Changing UID and GID on Diablo

> I got fed up su-ing and chowning and chgrping when moving files
> between my N800 and my Ubuntu laptop by USB.
> So I figured I'd change the UID and GID of user on the N800 to match
> my laptop (and other machines). I knew that the username was hardcoded
> in some key areas but surely they couldn't have done the same with the
> UID could they?
> Apparently they could.
> I change /etc/passwd and /etc/group (using usermod and groupmod),
> /sbin/mmc-mount (even though all my SD cards use ext2) and /etc/fstab.
> I then changed all my files and rebooted.
> The progress bar almost reaches the end before the D-pad light
> flashes, but it finishes, the light flashes more, then it reboots.
> I installed sysklogd and Fanoush's startup debug messages thing.
> The last startup script to run is S45maemo-launcher and the only clue
> in the syslog is
>  ke_recv[1165]: ke-recv.c:2823: Libosso initialisation failed
>  DSME: process '/usr/sbin/ke-recv' with pid 1165 exited with return value 1
>  DSME: '/usr/sbin/ke-recv' spawning too fast -> reset
>  DSME: Here we will request for sw reset
>  DSME: new_state == current_state, not changing
>  init: switching to runlevel 6
>
> /var/lib/dsme/stats/lifeguard_resets:
>  /sbin/mce --force-syslog : 2
>  /usr/bin/bme_RX-34 : 2
>  /usr/bin/multimediad : 5
>  /usr/sbin/ke-recv : 6 *
>
> I'm guessing the * means 'this was the latest'.
>
> /var/lib/dsme/stats/restarts:
>  /usr/bin/obexsrv -1 : 10
>  /usr/bin/hildon-desktop : 20
>  /usr/bin/metalayer-crawler -F : 44
>  /usr/bin/esd : 18
>  /usr/sbin/multimediad : 68
>  /usr/sbin/dsp_dld -p --disable-restart -c /lib/dsp/dsp_dld_avs.conf : 18
>  /sbin/mce --force-syslog : 23
>  /usr/bin/hildon-input-method : 1
>  /usr/sbin/ke-recv : 61 *
>  /usr/bin/osso-media-server : 2
>
> Has my tablet really been brought down over 250 times? By extraneous
> crap like metalayer-crawler and multimediad?
>
> Anyway, all I can glean from this is that libosso has barfed because I
> changed my UID.
> Has anyone successfully done this? Can anyone suggest how to fool or
> fix libosso?

Did you grep through /etc for any occurrences of '/home/user'? I have done
this back in a different age and ended up fixing a few scripts. I got about as
far as you did before I gave up and filed some bugs in the bug tracker.

To my delight and Nokia's credit the most important bug was
accepted for Fremantle and supposedly was fixed. So you might get your
wish when it comes out.

Erik Hovland
erik@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://hovland.org/