Re: Intel, Nokia announce mobile pact

Hi,

Maemo users interested in this thread will surely be interested in

Intel and Nokia agreement on New tablets collaboration
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29825

and even

Nokia launches a Netbook in 2011 ?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29816

ext Brad Midgley wrote:
> Mark
>
> This is interesting.
>
> I've wondered a lot how Nokia can unify their linux offerings.

Nokia's Linux offerings are unified in Maemo.  :)

> "The
> Nokia announcement follows a pact announced with LG Electronics in
> February to collaborate on development of smartphones based on Intel's
> future "Moorestown" silicon and Linux Moblin software." Does it mean
> Nokia works in at least 3 linux flavors? Are there more? (all in
> addition to symbian...)

No. As said Nokia is working on Maemo. What you call 'flavor' has more
to do with the UI layers which are explicitly out of scope in this
collaboration, based more in the OS base and middleware layers. If Maemo
is using the same middleware components you can find in a full Linux
desktop I don't see why Intel, LG or whoever couldn't use them to come
up with their own flavors, form factors etc. See for instance Palm Pre's
 OS.

Looking at the original source:
http://www.nokia.com/press/press-releases/showpressrelease?newsid=1324456

------------------------

Open Source Software Collaboration

The effort also includes technology development and cooperation in
several open source software initiatives in order to develop common
technologies for use in the Moblin and Maemo platform projects, which
will deliver Linux-based operating systems for these future mobile
computing devices.

The companies are coordinating their Open Source technology selection
and development investments, including alignment on a range of key Open
Source technologies for Mobile Computing such as: oFono*, ConnMan*,
Mozilla*, X.Org*, BlueZ*, D-BUS*, Tracker*, GStreamer*, PulseAudio*.
Collectively, these technologies will provide an open source
standards-based means to deliver a wealth of mobile Internet and
communication experiences, with rich graphics and multimedia capabilities.

----------------

> Brad
>
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Mark<wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> This is more than a little interesting, considering certain other
>> developments...
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> Intel, Nokia announce mobile pact
>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10270711-64.html?tag=nl.e703