Re: N810 for $180

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Mark <wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Jamie Bennett<jamie@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I must of missed where 'Nokia Employees' hinted at June next year.

Apparently so...

> I base my guess on a _beta_ SDK in practical feature freeze, an October
> summit with high levels of device information expectations, various
> community projects maturing on the Fremantle SDK and the fact that Nokia
> employees have been working on the new device for quite some time now.

OK, so you're saying that a beta SDK means impending device release?
Doesn't seem likely to me...

> Why would Nokia announce at OSiM last year a device that wouldn't be
> available for 20+ months later?

For the same reason that OpenMoko announced a device to be released in
2007 that _still_ doesn't exist...

Funny, so I have a non-existent OpenMoko[1] device :)

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner

Best,

--
Valério Valério

http://www.valeriovalerio.org

> It's not in their interests to have a device
> development in public that long. Also why would they effectivly freeze the
> new software a year before it is released? Doesn't make sense does it.

They aren't freezing "the software", they're freezing the *development
environment* that is needed to create the software. What part of that
do you not understand?

Mark