Re: Starter Tips

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 10:48:35AM -0400, sean wrote:
> 	I just purchased a used N800, and it arrived a little earlier today.
> Just looking for any real user tips as to get the most out of the device?

That may depend on what you intend to do with it.

> I hope that it can replace my aging palm as best as possible, but I have
> read of the lack of built in PIM, GPE seems to be a common recommendation.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with PIM software for the tablets.

> So what are the best ideas to get the most from the device?
> The unit is already running OS2008.

I personally use my tablet mostly for reading e-books, for which
FBReader is very nice.

I recommend installing openssh-server on the tablet and setting up
key-based authentication; this way you can transfer files to the tablet
over WiFi quite easily (using scp or sshfs on Linux).

I also recommend load-applet so you can see the CPU/memory usage of the
tablet in the status bar.  (In my opinion using a computer without a
CPU/RAM indicator is like driving a car without a speedometer and a fuel
gauge.)

Maemo Mapper is a very nice map viewer that can download (and cache)
online world maps from various sources (OpenStreetMap, Google Maps,
etc.).  It can also integrate with a Bluetooth GPS.

Marius Gedminas
--
It's my understanding that although in principle TCP can handle huge
throughputs in practice many stacks haven't been optimized for that case, so