Re: Abiword

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Fernando Cassia<fcassia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Great!. Maybe Abiworth is  worth another look then.
> Where you installed it from?

The new Abiword release is in Extras-devel. See:
https://wiki.maemo.org/Extras#Extras-devel
Please observe the notes on that page regarding the intent of
Extras-devel: items located there are not yet intended for general end
user use. They are there for testing purposes.

I highly recommend disabling Extras-devel in your tablet's Application
Manager after installing Abiword. Otherwise, you may accidentally
upgrade some other package--also in testing in Extras-devel--and break
some otherwise working application on your tablet.

> Also, is OS2008 still the last version?

Yes, OS2008 + the "Feature Upgrade" commonly known as "Diablo" + a few
Seamless Software Updates (SSUs) make up the current version of the
OS. If "About product" in your tablet's Control Panel shows version
5.2008.43-7, you're up to date.

> Or is an OS2009 in the pipeline?.

There will be no OS2009. First off, Nokia has dropped the OS[year]
naming scheme. The next Maemo operating system release, due out
sometime later this year and codenamed "Fremantle", will be officially
known as "Maemo 5". Diablo is Maemo 4.1, in case you're wondering.

Furthermore, Maemo 5 will not be released for your tablet. Because
Maemo 5 uses new technologies tuned to the faster, more powerful
hardware that will be included in upcoming Maemo devices, Nokia won't
be releasing a version for the 770 or N800/N810/N810WME.

However, the community is building a new operating system for the
tablets, one based upon Maemo, Ubuntu, and as many Maemo 5
technologies as can be made to work on existing tablets. This new OS
is called Mer, and it is being built with Nokia's blessing and
support. See:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer

> The Java situation is the same? (no Java, not even OpenJDK?).

Please see:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/embedded.jsp