OT: Re: FYI - possible GPS degradation in next few years

On Friday 22 May 2009 03:48:44 Andrew Daviel wrote:
> "It is uncertain whether the Air Force will be able to acquire new
> satellites in time to maintain current GPS service without interruption."

Considering they're matching all the stuff to fiscal years, I'd say this
sounds more like a call to improve/preserve their budget situation in the
current economic climate, rather than a technical issue.

Glonass doesn't really come into the story as the article is not about LOSS of
gps capability, just precision/lock time degradation. There are methods of
improving this anyway by making more sensitive/accurate
equipment/calculations. GPS became ubiquitous as you could get a reasonable
reasonable quality fix with dirt cheap components. Adding a GLONASS into the
mix would drastically increase cost, so unless you already have a need for
civilian very high precision positioning (or you live really high up North as
some of our Scandinavian friends :), I couldn't really justify it. AFAIK
Galileo (if it was anywhere near operational) would be a better match as the
tech aspect is more similar to GPS so it could be easily adapted for
dual-receiving purpose. Maybe this announcement will give the project a
little boost :)