Re: Office document support

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> Does anybody know what is the status of viewing MS office and openoffice
> documents on the N810?

At some point I was playing with OpenOffice server mode. It's broken
right now, but the idea was if you wanted to view an office document on
the tablet, and it was on the Web already, you passed the URL to a
web service URL and it returned a PDF

> If that is unfeasible right now, what would be a good alternative? EeePC? Or
> is there something more portable?

I got my daughter an Acer Aspire One. That fits nicely in a small
backpack or large handbag, and comes with OO. While my N810 fits in my
pocket..

At one point (before OO) I was using "strings" and a Tk scroller, which
would let me read most Word 97 documents. At least, the ones that should
have been sent as a text message, not the ones with lots of graphics and
tables. There were things like "antiword" and "catdoc" as well which did
a slightly better job.

Andrew