Re: Will these features be in the G4 IT?

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 3:36 PM, John B. Holmblad <jholmblad@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All,
>
> fyi. Here is an interesting take on the impact of the Iphone OS 3.0
> feature set on the market:
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/iphone/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=3I0MJSGXIC4E0QSNDLPSKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=215901446&cid=tab_art_wire
>

> Here, also, fyi is a good summary of the company that Apple (I did not
> notice it when they dropped the word "computer" from the company name)
> is becoming:
>
>>     Two years later, that name change is showing itself to be more
>>     than symbolic. Mac sales were down
>>     <http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/03/16/mac-ipod-sales-each-down-16-in-february-npd/>
>>     year-over-year in February, to according to market researchers the
>>     NPD Group. Analysts at Piper Jaffray predicted Apple would sell
>>     2.2 million Macs in the quarter ending this month, along with 10
>>     million iPods. In the two years since the iPhone went on sale, the
>>     company sold 30 million iPhones and iPod Touches, including 13.7
>>     million iPhones the past year.
>>
>>     Put the numbers together and that means that the iPhone and iPod
>>     Touch are becoming Apple's core product line, replacing the
>>     25-year-old Mac as the company's main computing platform,
>>     according to Technology Business Research analyst Ezra Gottheil,
>>     when I interviewed him on the day of the iPhone announcement.
>>

> Reading this article led me to a presentation, available at the www page
> whose url is
>

>    http://www.informationweek.com/whitepaper/download/showPDF.jhtml?id=61700330&site_id=300001&cid=well1_wp_pertech
>

>    that was made at Interop 2008 on the Iphone in the business market
>    that had the following interesting comments:
>

> iPhone Predictions (from well er........experts)
>

>    • "There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any
>    significant market share. No chance, It's a $500 subsidized
>    item“ Steve Balmer, CEO Microsoft - April 30, 2007
>
>    • “The iPhone will not substantially alter the fundamental
>    structure and challenges of the mobile industry'' Charles Golvin,
>    an analyst at Forrester Research Inc. - January 2007
>
>    • “It won't come from the iPhone. Apple will sell a few to its
>    fans, but the iPhone won't make a long-term mark on the
>    industry” Matthew Lynn, Bloomberg - January 15, 2007
>
>    • “The only question remaining is if, when the iPod phone fails,
>    will it take the iPod with it” Bill Ray, The Register - December 23,
>    2006
>
> and from actual users/customers (we wll call these the real experts):
>

> iPhone Enterprise Users
>

>    • "The iPhone is a watershed event in mobile computing for
>    corporations “ Todd Pierce, VP Corporate Information Technology -
>    Genentech
>
>    • “The iPhone has worked effortlessly at Stanford and the user
>    acceptance just astounded us. We have been inundated with
>    orders'' Bill Clebsch, CIO, Stanford University
>
>    • “ While Apple still has a relatively small share of the corporate
> [...]

So what's your point? That the ITs should become just another
iPhone/iPod wannabe? That's a *really* good way to kill the tablets.
The imitators come and go, and nobody really remembers them regardless
of how good they may have been. The ITs are great as they are - all
they need is to finish the software - and they were the prototype for
the flood of "MIDs" that are about to hit the market. Sure, faster
CPUs and graphics would be great, but the form factor and overall
design needs to stay the same. In fact, they really should revive
those of the N800's features that went away with the N810.

Unless they bring true multitasking to the iPhone/iPod, they'll find
that once the honeymoon is over and all the fanboys have theirs sales
will plummet. My N800 never has less than 2 or 3 three apps running
simultaneously (often 5 or 6, just like on my desktop or laptop), and
if I could only use one app at a time the tablet would be utterly
useless to me.

By the way, you've helped prove my point that if it weren't for the
iPod (and now the iPhone), Apple would no longer be with us. Face it,
Macs (and Apple) just aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Mark