Re: Is it possible to change WLAN regdomain?

Hasse Hagen Johansen wrote:
> Is there a way to change which regdomain/country it is used
> in so I can use channel 12 & 13 or is sealed of in the closed part of
> the wlan driver?

Since you sent it to memo-users I guess the answer is "no it is not
possible".

If sent to maemo-developers the answer could be something like

# strace chroot /mnt/initfs wlan-cal

compare the output with device from different country and guess if any
change could solve your problem.

Device configuration data is stored in config partition (/dev/mtd1) but
the format is not documented and writing bad data there could
potentially brick your device. Writing is done by dsme daemon (module
/mnt/initfs/usr/lib/dsme/libcalmodule.so). The safest way to write data
there is to figure out dsme protocol used by cal-tool. cal-tool can both
read and write data to /dev/mtd1 safely but is limited to setting few
specific parameters (like root device). I've been tinkering with this to
write r&d mode so we could switch it on the fly without usb flasher.
Once ready, the code could be used to set any value.

As for wi-fi parameters you could also try to modify/hardcode data in
open part of wi-fi driver to simulate wlan-cal with different data.

Frantisek