Re: Maemo-Mapper script?

Mike, and anyone else trying to deal with this issue:

Thanks for the help. I did find out that for some reason Maemo-Mapper was crashing while trying to download the "area maps", turned out that I had once again filled my internal storage space. I moved the DB file over to my SD card and everything works like a charm.

I went over to www.openstreetmaps.org, selected "Export", manually highlighted the area I wanted, and then used the coordinates to do the download into Mapper.

Thanks,

Denis
--------------------------------------
sik vis paw kem, para bellum
--------------------------------------
oderint dum metuant
--------------------------------------
"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!" -LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Mike Sherman <mike.sherman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Denis Dimick <dgdimick@xxxxxxxxx>

>I've looked around and see some mention of a script/application that will
>allow you to pre-download maps into maemo-mapper from tjhe command line.
>Anyone have any idea where to find more information about this?
>
>I've tried Map Loader (GUI) and it doesn't seem to work.

The only ways I know are:
1) display the area you want maps of, select Manage Maps, select the zoom
levels you want, and tap the "by Area" button.
2) load a route, select the zoom levels you want, enter a radius of tiles
around the route

I usually get zooms 4 or 5  and 7 or 8.

Big downloads (long routes at multiple zooms) always seem to fail.  It seems
to work better if you do one zoom level at a time.

If you just scroll around an area you will only get the zoom level you are
displaying.

I like Maemo Mapper for working on OSM, but Roadmap seems better for
navigation as street names are always displayed.  With roadmap it downloads
vector maps so you don't need to get multiple copies (zoom levels) of the
same map.  My copy of Roadmap seems to have lost its ability to download
maps for the last few months.  Not sure why, neither the program nor the
map server has changed.

>Thanks,
>
>Denis

-Mike