Re: Claws Mail won't start

On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 17:03 +0200, Eero Tamminen wrote:
<snip>
> > If you have the mailboxes on one of the memory cards check to see
> > if the card is read only. I had that issue and discovered a RS-MMC
> > had spontaneously protected itself.
>
> This usually means that the card file system has corrupted.
>
> Memory cards use the common MicroSoft FAT file system.
> It's easy to corrupt by:
> - unplugging the USB cable without using "safely remove"
> - taking the card out while it's being written to
> - device freeze/reboot (no reproducible cases known currently)
>    when some data is only partly written to the card
>
> Linux kernel remounts disk (in this case memory card) as read-only
> when it notices that it's corrupted.  This is done to protect it
> from further corruption.
>
> You can resolve this by repairing the file system.  Device
> file manager has a utility for this, but there might not be
> enough memory to run that if your card is large and full,
> so I'd recommend doing it from the PC.
>

> I reformated the card,
>
> Reformatting works also, but loses all of the data on the card.
>

> > verified that was the problem and replaced the card.
>
> There's a good probability that the card itself was still fine.
>

> 	- Eero

Dear Eero,
	Thanks very much, I probably created the problem myself then. Thanks
for pointing out it was my fault ;)
	Very interesting; in all seriousness; though. Thank you, I did not know
all that. I will bear that in mind for the future. The cards I threw out
were rather old RS-MMC cards I bought when I bought my original 770's,
and not very big so no loss there. I did copy all the information on the
cards to another card before reformating so no loss there either.

Best Regards,

--
Peter Bart <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Peter The Plumber