Re: Browserd consumes too much CPU on N810 - OS 2008

On Saturday 20 December 2008 10:00:23 maemo-users-request@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> 2008/12/19 Ryan Abel <rabelg5@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Andrea Grandi <a.grandi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> If you try to load Facebook.com website, the situation is even worse:
> >> it takes about 85% CPU simply doing nothing.
> >>

> > Is it _actually_ doing nothing, or do you just _think_ it's doing
> > nothing and, in fact, it's _actually_ running a ton of crappy
> > JavaScript and Flash applets? :)
> >
> > Have you tried turning off js and Flash and then looking at the CPU usage?
>
> without Flash, it still takes about 60% CPU
> without JavaScript the CPU usage goes to 1% or 2%.

I reckon this is because there's some Javascript chundering away in the background on whatever page you've got loaded. I had a similar problem when I added a news-ticker to my Beermad site. Because I have a local copy of the site running on my N800, the news-ticker ran all night after I'd finished using the tablet. Or at least for as much of the night as it took to run the battery down.

I don't think this is a bug in the browser as such, more a side-effect of the CPU used by Javascript on a device with limited battery life. The only answer I could see on the browser side might be if it stopped running embedded Javascript when the device was locked (or perhaps when the display had timed out). But then other people might have a reason why they need it to keep on running.

--
Tony Green
Ipswich, Suffolk, England

* No Micro$oft products were used in the generation of this communication