Re: Flashing and flashing the tablet

Hi,

ext COURTAUD Didier wrote:
> I am tired on flasing my tablet every week.
>
> Since the last release of Diablo, the system seems to be very unstable.
>
> One week ago, my tablet stopped working being unable to reboot ( the status line at the bottom stops at 3/4 and the lamp at the top
> left lights up ).
>
> I reflashed my tablet with the last available image, redo the two updates of Diablo

If you flash the latest release (last one released today[1]), you don't
need to do SSU updates.  In worst case using SSU will waste few MB of
RAM (as SSU updated binaries & libraries aren't prelinked).

[1] http://maemo.org/news/announcements/maemo_sdk_4-1-2_and_new_ssu_release/

 > and reinstall all my apps and data.

Which packages?

Packages can do anything, so the extra ones are the first things to
suspect.  They might not for example like if the file system is full.

The device pre-installed SW is tested to boot fine in situations
where user cannot anymore write to the file system.  If you, or some
3rd party package has filled the file system so that even root cannot
write anything to the device (there's some space reserved that only
root can write and the pre-installed SW is tested not to fill that[2]),
device cannot anymore boot.

[2] For example package management aborts installation if there's
     not enough space and cleans the partly installed package away.
     However, if package is badly done, it can install stuff that's
     not in package database (i.e. cannot be cleaned away by dpkg),
     or if it doesn't properly check for errors ("set -e" in install
     scripts), things can break.  Package installation is done as
     root.

> Eveything worked fine until today where the answers of the operaring system seems "strange".
>
> I have asked for a reboot ( typing reboot as root in an xterm ) and now once again, the tablet does not want to reboot !

It may be safer to use (e.g. long press of) the power button as
that's the method used in our testing.

(I'm not sure Busybox "reboot" does everything properly, for example
whether apps are notified with sigterm about reboot.)

> Is there a way to trap the log of what is wrong at boot time in oreder to correct it unstaead of flashing once again ?

Unless you're (fairly advanced) power user, no.

If you have already SSH daemon installed and it's started early enough
in the boot, you may be able to log into the device with SSH.  Otherwise
you would need to make yourself a serial cable (as they aren't readily
available) and in serial console stop the device boot to initfs. You
can then login to the initfs shell, mount rootfs (and chroot to it
so that you have necessary tools missing from initfs) and inspect
why the device doesn't boot properly.

	- Eero