Re: Headset plugged in disables ringtones

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Eero Tamminen <eero.tamminen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ext Luca Olivetti wrote:
>> El Thu, 27 Nov 2008 17:48:35 +0200
>> Eero Tamminen <eero.tamminen@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:
>>
>>> So, in which all situations it in your opinion should switch?
>>
>> Always route the alarms to the loudspeakers and route "normal"
>> audio to the headphones if connected or to the loudspeakers if not?
>> Or make the alarm output configurable ("always loudspeakers", "always
>> headphones", "auto switch")
>
> Well, it goes to one place at the time.  So, you're proposing that
> music would switch to loudspeakers when alarm comes and after alarm
> it would switch back to headphones?  That could sound wierd...

In this case, this is the aspect I'm missing. If I understand you
correctly the routing of audio is at system level rather than at
application level? IOW switching the audio for one application
switches it for all? Anyway, when I started this thread, my intention
was to bring forth a problem that I have experienced that could
perhaps be addressed in a future hardware (despite the fact that the
routing can be software controlled the limitation is apparantly in the
hardware) release.

Having said that,knowing what I know now, I still think the built in
SIP client could have a more sensible logic behind where it's playing
its alarm than simply always playing it through the headphones if
these are connected. For example, returning to Eero's example and in
addition to Luca's suggestion: if there is audio in the headphones at
the time of the alarm route the alarm to the headphones, else to the
speakers. On the other hand, if you are listening to music while the
phone is ringing, you will want to turn it off before answering the
phone which somewhat eliminates the problem...

/h