Re: All applets dying

On Friday 07 November 2008 10:35:26 Tommy Persson wrote:
> Has anybody seen the problem and have any idea how to solve it. Firt I
> thouh that I run out of memory but I think all applets died when I had
> a lot of memory free. Or could it be one applet or statusbar thing
> that causes this sometimes?

If any one applet crashes it takes down the whole home screen.  The system
then restarts the home screen in "safe mode" with all applets disabled to try
to avoid the problem. A reboot restarts all the applets.

It could be any applet causing the problem.  The only way to find it is to
remove some applets and see if it recurs.

Alternatively you can post your list of applets and see if anyone else has had
a bad experience with any of them.  Unfortunately, not a very scientific
process (it is hard to be sure which applet is really causing the problem,
some bugs are quite subtle and may depend on your particular usage and there
are different versions of many applets around, with some bugs fixed and new
ones introduced).

It would be useful to have a debug mode in the desktop process where it would
produce a log of interesting events (and all Glib logging messages) and log
which library contained the faulting instruction when any signals occur.
Maybe even take a core dump.

Graham