Re: Help : Big pb with apache on Maemo Diablo

On Thursday 06 November 2008 14:26:29 COURTAUD Didier wrote:
> - try to uninstall by dpkg -r httpd
>
>   Same errors on
>
>     invoke-rc.d: not a symlink: "/etc/rc2.d/S20httpd"
>      invoke-rc.d: dangling symlink: "/etc/rc2.d/S20httpd"
>
> I definitevely cannot uninstall hhtpd ( anyone on this list has an idea ? )
> but it works and that is why I downloaded it !

I do not have an idea but I have seen the same problem.  A user was having
trouble installing GPE because it required updating a dependency (I can't
remember which package, maybe libsoup or sqlite).  But the existing package
would not uninstall, with dpkg producing exactly these errors.

These errors (which are actually coming from invoke-rc.d) cannot be overridden
with any --force options on dpkg.

After several iterations of trying to debug the problem by email, the only
solution that I eventually found was to manually remove the package.prerm
file from /var/lib/dpkg/info/.  After that we were able to remove the broken
package and install the new version.

I had assumed that this was actually either some obscure packaging bug in the
(obsolete) package that was trying to be removed or a file-system corruption.
It is very interesting to see the problem reported for a completely different
package, on a different system.  Is it worth doing a fsck to check there is
no filesystem corruption?

If you look at /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d (which is a shell script), in the
verifyrclink function, you can see that what is failing is:

test -L "/etc/rc2.d/S20httpd"

and

test -f "/etc/rc2.d/S20httpd"

I did not have access to my user's system and they just wanted a quick fix so
I never got to look around the filesystem to see why those tests might be
failing.

Graham