Re: Software Choices for New Nokia 770?

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 05:06:53PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> I am the happy new owner of an older Nokia 770 with a 1G flash MMC
> card.  I am an experienced Debian user.  'apt-get update' fails.  It
> appears that depots listed in the sources.list file are no longer
> available.  Is there an updated sources.list for updates?  I would
> like to install security updates as I am sure there are some in the
> last couple of years.

Nope.  OS2006 never had apt-gettable updates.  All you could do was
reflash a newer OS image (AFAIK the latest one for OS2006 was version
3.2006.49-2).

> The main problem that I am having are system crashes when trying to
> download from the web browser onto the add-on MMC flash card. It
> starts to transfer and a partial file results but inevitably crashes
> the system during the download requiring a reboot.  I would like to
> hope that if I could update that the updated image would resolve this
> so that I could put files on the added 1G flash card.

I seem to remember a bug in the wifi driver that randomly corrupts
memory.  I don't think it was ever fixed, at least in the official
supported OS image.

You might have better luck with the semi-official OS2007 or OS2008 ports
(know as "Hacker's Edition", no support, no guarantees, apps may or may
not work, your own risk etc.).

> What is the wisdom of the 'net for what an experienced Debian user
> should install?

OpenSSH.

> Should I install the OS2007 hacker edition?  Or is
> there a better best-known version now?

I've no experience with the hacker editions.  I bought a N800 (and later
a N810) the CPU and RAM upgrade was worth it.

Marius Gedminas
--
System going down at 5 this afternoon to install scheduler bug.