Re: slow N800

Hi,

ext Jason Edgecombe wrote:
> I watched the fennec demo and tried out the program, but my N800 was
> about 3-5 times slower than the demo.

Did you visit the same www-sites?

I haven't tried Fennec myself, but I've understood it to be a bit
of a memory hog and if you're not using sites benefiting from its
faster JavaScript VM, well, I guess you'll just have the memory
hogging...

Does the demo have flashplayer disabled?  Disabling that can have
a large effect on the browsing speed.

> My N800 is running diablo with all of the updates. What should I do
> to speed up my tablet?   I thought the N810 has the same memory and
> CPU  as the N810,

Correct.

> so how can I make my tablet as fast as the N810 in  the fennec demo video?

To check whether the memory usage is issue, try "top" in the terminal
and check how much memory is available (free & buffered & cached).

Besides using the same www-sites and disabling the Flashplayer, you
might try rebooting the device to get more memory available if that
seemed an issue.

(If you've watched a lot of videos in the mediaplayer since last boot,
the tiny leaks in different video codecs could have amounted to a bit
more in the media server over time, this you can fix just with
"killall osso-media-server" in the terminal.)

	- Eero