Re: A bluetooth keyboard for $45 -> StowAway "Shasta" for Blackberry (would it work?)

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 5:45 AM, Frantisek Dufka <dufkaf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It is not HID compatible so it needs additional software, see
> http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#kbdd
>
> It is the same one as HP iPAQ Bluetooth Foldable just with different key
> labels. The same one is also sold by MSI (google for MSI BK100).

Thanks for the notice!

> I have it and it works fine for me
Good to know. I'll order it, then...

> but I wouldn't recommend it to people who
> expect things to just work out of box.

Well it should be a matter of insisting to Nokia that they add the
"serial profile Bluetooth keyboards" to the base Maemo OS.
The fact that there are several models that use the serial profile
justifies it, IMHO.

> Also it drains battery relatively > quickly when not in use so expect to change/charge batteries every few weeks

Like I said I have an IR foldable keyboard from the same firm
(StowAway) and there seems to be a contact already there, when you
fold it closed the battery is apparently disconnected from the
keyboard, look for a piece of metal near one of the hinges.

Are you sure you shut it 100% closed when not in use?. Of course
leaving it wide open and not folded will cause it to keep working.

> or put a piece of something between battery contacts (or remove them) when
> you are not using it for longer time.
> Frantisek

This is a good advise for any battery-operated peripheral, but make
sure you close it, then check again on battery drain when not in use.

FC