Re: Removing Modest from Diablo

On 10.10.2008 19:32, Michael Flaig wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 05:46 -0700, Tim Ashman wrote:
>> I so can't stand modest in diablo that I wish to remove it.
>>
>> I tried     apt-get remove modest
>>
>> but the system warned me that it was basically going to uninstall a ton of
>> other stuff that I actually still want.
>
> I would think that means the other stuff you still want depends on
> modest and uses it in some way, or the dependencies are just very wide.

http://mxr.maemo.org/diablo/source/osso-email-interface-2008.11.1/ossoemailinterface.h#39
probably explains what's happening.

Arguably it's silly that that's a hard dependency; of course if the apps
don't quite gracefully handle the lack of an email client to call then
it's not a packaging bug.

> ~ # LC_ALL=C apt-get remove --purge modest
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
>    initfs-flasher kernel-diablo-flasher flash-and-reboot
> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>    camera-test* hildon-application-framework-rx34-rx44*
>    libosso-email-interface* microphone-test* modest* multimedia-applications*
>    osso-filemanager* osso-filemanager-ui* osso-global-search* osso-imageviewer*
>    osso-software-version-rx44*
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 11 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives.
> After unpacking 2572kB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
>
> Based on this output I would think it is indeed very unwise to remove
> modest, because those packages above depend on modest directly or
> indirectly.
>
> I'm guessing here, you can verify this if you like:
> I think osso-software-version-rx44 depends on modest directly and other
> packages like osso-filemanager depend on osso-software-version-rx44.
>
> To make osso-software-version-rx44 something like ubuntu-desktop the
> dependencies on osso-software-version-rx44 need to be removed in the
> other packages.

just for the record,

~ $ apt-cache rdepends osso-software-version-rx44
osso-software-version-rx44
Reverse Depends:
~ $ apt-cache rdepends modest
modest
Reverse Depends:
   osso-software-version-rx44-unlocked
   osso-software-version-rx34-unlocked
   osso-software-version-rx44
   libosso-email-interface
   osso-software-version-rx34
~ $ apt-cache rdepends libosso-email-interface
libosso-email-interface
Reverse Depends:
   maemo-recorder
   osso-software-version-rx44-unlocked