Re: Fwd: WiFi borked after update

"ext Andrew Flegg" <andrew@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> More information on the problem/use-case of the cross-domain package
> would be useful, I think.

The package domains are an effort to simulate a sane distribution on the
device: in a sane distribution, a given package is available only from
one source.

For example, if you need modifications to libfarsight for your in-house
enterprise application (that's a real world example), you can not just
go and make your own version of libfarsight.  You need to coordinate and
cooperate with the maintainer of the existing libfarsight library and
(ideally) get him to include your modifications.

This is something that concerns developers and the maintainers of the
distribution.  They need to figure this out between themselves.  We can
not leave it to the user to decide whether this rogue version of
libfarsight is OK, but this other one is not.  Thus, we do not even
inform the user about the problem, all rogue versions of libfarsight are
simply ignored.  (In the Application manager, apt-get doesn't care.)

A similar thing will likely happen with "missing packages".  Once I have
robustified the Application manager to give more reliable error
messages, I will likely just reword the "Some packages are missing"
error message into "This package is broken" or "The catalogues are
broken".  Again, the users should not get the impression that missing
packages is something that they can fix (by hunting them down somewhere
on the internets, say).  Missing packages mean that the distribution is
broken and developers need to fix it.

But, the path the hell is paved with good intentions, and the package
domain system has good chance of getting in the way of people who know
what they are doing.  That's why you can switch it off in red-pill mode.