Re: Which *class* of SDHC card to get?

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 11:22:42AM -0700, Erik Hovland wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I wend out shopping for an 8GB SDHC card for my n800, and was surprised
> > by the enormous range of prices -- almost an order of magnitude.  Of
> > course there's issues of quality and brand-recognition, but the biggest
> > difference seemed to be between the class of the card.  There were cards
> > of class 2, class 4, ans class 6.  Now the class appears to be a matter
> > of speed.
> >
> > Which class should I get?
>
> Anecdotal, so YMMV. But I have this 8GB card in my N800:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208293
>
> I bought it for roughly four times that price shortly after SDHC support was
> announced.

The class 6 8GB transend cards are available here in Montreal for
$69.99(Canadian), about two or three times as much as on that web site
once you count shipping and customs costs.  For quantity one the price
difference probably isn't worth the hassle.

They also sell a 16G one for 139.99, or only 119.99 if you're willing to
accept a card reader with it.  I don't know why the card reader has an
effectively negative price.  It can't be *that* bad, can it :-?

> I have never measured the throughput. But I have also never
> noticed any slow down when either transferring files or playing back
> multimedia files. It is a class 6 card.

That's the fastest class.

> I currently own 6 transcend branded flash cards. None of them have ever
> quit on me yet.

You seem happy with them. How long have you been using them?

-- hendrik