Re: My Diablo Impressions

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 07:46:46PM -0400, Peter Bart wrote:
> 	These are simply my impressions (notes) setting up my tablet's after
> flashing the latest Diablo image RX-34_DIABLO_4.2008.23-14_PR_MR0.

> It occurs to me that
> developers have to be fed up with having to package their software again
> and again for different OS versions. I'm wondering if Diablo will solve
> this as well as now being able to update via the application manager?

No; the method of OS upgrades is irrelevant, you still need to package
your app for every new OS release that has different library versions
etc.

> I should note that I must have
> inadvertently downloaded something I shouldn't have onto my tablet. So
> far the noticed undesirable behavior is that I cannot receive bluetooth
> transfers and some of the buttons/status indicators say things they
> shouldn't For ex when launching a program the indicator read something
> along the lines of ck-application-loading.

Desktop or statusbar applets can cause this if they try to use i18n
in naive way (by calling textdomain(3)).

> I just rebooted after
> uninstalling the Give application and now they're back to normal. Hmmmm,
> maybe a library got pulled in that shouldn't have??? Bluetooth receiving
> file transfers still fails after the n800's find each other, the
> location to save the file is selected and save is clicked.

Worksforme.

> Any
> suggestions would be very much appreciated since that's how I back up my
> cell phone address book to the tablets built in Contacts.

I've no good suggestions, except reflashing and seeing if bluetooth
transfers work then.

> 	Camera gets installed from the main repos but it seems to be very
> resource hungry. Not much different from my experiences on other OS
> versions. It usually locks up my tablet because I have to many other
> things running as well. Unusable for me, YMMV.

Same here.

Marius Gedminas
--
...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly).