Re: N810 Scratches on Keys

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 13:35 -0600, Mark wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Marius Gedminas <marius@xxxxxx> wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > Meh.  Things are to be used.
> >
> > Marius Gedminas
> > --
>
> <Chuckle> Agreed!
>
> I have to wonder when I see a car, or especially a truck, that is more
> than a couple of years old and is absolutely spotless, with nary a
> nick or scratch. I can only assume that the owners spend so much time
> worrying about appearances that they never get a chance to actually
> enjoy the thing. I take reasonable precautions (I have a screen
> protector and a silicone case on my N800), but I don't cry if I notice
> a new scratch. My vehicles get cleaned when they get dirty, but not
> every week or every few days, and if I couldn't use my truck to haul
> stuff because it might get scratched, there wouldn't be any point in
> having it.
>
> On the other hand, it does seem a little strange for a device to be
> damaging *itself* through normal use... and the concerns I would have
> would be if it would affect the long-term reliability and if the
> scratches would eventually obscure the symbols on the keys. A properly
> engineered product wouldn't have that interference, regardless of
> size. I've seen laptop screens that were very scratched in a grid
> pattern from touching the keys when closed, which can be a bad thing
> when it affects the viewability of the display.
>
> Mark

I was just concerned that my unit was the only one. If all or most have
this, then there isn't much that can be done. I doubt this is covered by
any warranty. It doesn't affect using the N810. The scratches are in the
center of each key and except for the Ctrl key, doesn't have the
potential to blur the lettering.

Rick B.