Re: Chinook or Diablo port of gpsdrive?

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 4:11 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Joshua Layne wrote:
>> Roadmap uses gpsd, so provided you can get gpsd running against your usb
>> GPS, yes.
>>
>> gpsd.berlios.de has pretty reasonable documentation, but if you run into
>> issues, ask here and we can try to walk you through it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Josh
>>
>> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:17:54 -0400, tj <999alfred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Can these use a usb gps, specifically a DeLorme Earthmate GPS?
>>>
>>> tj

> Roadmap is limited in the maps it uses (and the interface for installing
> maps is.....weird..)
>
> gpsdrive will import tiled slices of map images as georeferenced png or
> tif files.
>
> Which is why it is useful. If I could get it built! Even on Fedora...
>
> G.

If you like tiled bitmaps, Maemo Mapper is outstanding with its ease
of use and the number of different map sources available.

I personally prefer vector maps.

One consideration is that there is little chance that bitmap-based
programs will ever be able to do native routing. You have to go online
and download directions from another source. Vector maps lend
themselves to that much more readily.

Bitmap-based programs are "pretty" - the satellite map option is
particularly cool - but at the expense of sever major features.

Mark