N810 not booting, flashing fails

Hi,

I just bought an N810 but after playing around with it for one day it
suddenly behaved strange. When I tried to connect to my new wireless
access point I could not type in the encryption key and then suddenly
the device rebooted.

But ... when the Nokia screen is shown the progress bar is progressing
and when it is almost at the end the device reboots and keeps
rebooting in this way forever.
I downloaded flasher_3.0 and the flash image from maemo.org but
flashing fails.

After connecting the N810 via USB and switching it on (with the key on
the left side pressed) I get a message telling me the current software
version is 50.2 and then flasher exits (I started flasher as root,
using ./flasher3.0 imagefile -f -R as given on the flash update page
at maemo.org).

I retried by now it seems there is no software in the N810 anymore?

What am I doind wrong? (or should I return the N810 to the shop ASAP ?)

Cheers,

Rob