Carman and Diablo - any tips

I've recently purchased a Scantool ODB scanner, and installed Carman onto
both my N770 running OS2008HE and my N800 running Diablo.

Carman works on the N770, but has a problem connecting under Diablo (see
https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2667&group_id=189&atid=780)

First of all, does anybody have any suggestions for a work-around (it
looks to me like there's a problem with the Python Bluetooth module and
Carman).

Second of all, is there any real on-going development? Looking over the
SCM browser it doesn't look like there's been a lot of commits lately.