trouble with sip calls on N800

Hello,

I'm trying to get sip working on an N800 with Diablo.  I have an account
at ekiga.net.  Lets forget about video for now.

So far I've not had any completely successful call.  Calling between my
laptop (linux/ubuntu/ekiga) and the N800, the N800 can hear the laptop,
but I can't hear anything from the tablet.

If I try an echo test, say 500@xxxxxxxxx  it seems like its connecting
but I don't hear the echo test announcement or anything else despite my
saying hello, hello, hello, etc.

I've also tried some other numbers.  For one 300@xxxxxxxxxxx where there
are some monkeys.  Seems like I get a connection but no audio.  I've
tried a variety of ways.
	300@xxxxxxxxxxx
	sip:300@xxxxxxxxxxx
	*266300
	*266300@xxxxxxxxx

I can make a recording with the microphone both on the N800 and through
the supplied headset/mic.

My guess is a problem with codecs.  But I don't know where or how to
look.

Thanks for any help,

digger