Re: Postal address in Contacts?

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Dylan McCall <dylanmccall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm using a n800 with the factory-installed OS.
>>
>> Does the Contacts application really provide no way to enter a street
>> address, that is, a regular postal mailing address, the plain old
>> physical-letter-in-a-physical-envelope-with-a-stamp-on-it kind of address?
>>  People still do need to write letters on paper sometimes.
>>
>> When I select contact->New Contact I get to provide First Name, Last Name,
>> Nickname, E-mail, and Jabber.  For a while I was astounded that there
>> was no provision for a phone number.  But then I discovered I could also
>> choose Add Field  and get to provide E-mail (again?) Phone,
>> Web Address, and Jabber (again?).
>>
>> But no plain old old-fashioned address.  I don't even need to
>> formally split into street names and numbers, etc.
>> Just a plain old multi-line text field would do (Unicode or UTF-8
>> preferred, of course).
>
> I find that Pimlico Contacts does this job rather well. Whether Pimlico
> is a good suite or not seems to be a hotly debated issue. I have kept my
> nose out of that issue and have maintained blissful ignorance to its
> flaws, whatever they be. The reason I like it for contacts is because it
> talks to the contacts system built in to Maemo. Regrettably, the
> integration of the chat system and the rest of contacts seems to produce
> nothing but messes for me, likely because I frequently talk to myself
> over a variety of messaging protocols, but I am sure other people see
> different results.
>
> Rather importantly, Pimlico does custom fields, and (I believe...) uses
> Evolution.
>
> Bye,
> -Dylan
>
> PS: Oh, and hi, list!

For those of us new to Pimlico, here it is:
http://www.pimlico-project.org/index.html
Contacts:
http://www.pimlico-project.org/contacts.html

And here's the Maemo-specific information:
http://maemo.o-hand.com/
ITOS 2008 (Nokia N810, N800)
Web address: http://maemo.o-hand.com/packages
Components:

IT2007 (Nokia N800)
Web address: http://maemo.o-hand.com/packages
Components:

Nokia 770
Web address: http://maemo.o-hand.com/packages
Components:

Apparently one has to add the repository manually. To do that, i
Application Manager go to Tools->Application Catalog, then click
"New", and fill in the blanks.

Mark