Re: Battery checks on N810 tablet

Thanks for the reply.

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, Eero Tamminen wrote:

> ext Andrew Daviel wrote:
>> I read your post on maemo users re. startup when you say R&D mode "disables
>> some battery checks." What checks are those?
>
> <AFAIK>
> Battery type/safety ones, disabling them allows connecting e.g.
> adjustable power source[1] to the device for RD purposes.  I think
> the checks are there so that device doesn't try to use a battery
> that could be dangerous to the device or the user (I've understood
> that bad counterfeit/forged lithium batteries could burn).
>
> [1] Industrial power sources naturally don't have these issues, but
>    then again, you really cannot call them mobile :-)
> </AFAIK>

I see in another forum that the third battery terminal is probably
connected to a temperature sensor, and I presume this is what
is disabled :
http://www.electronics-lab.com/articles/Li_Ion_reconstruct/

> Device is not intended to be run in RD mode longer than is necessary.

I've disabled RD mode and gone back to a hacked gainroot; I'd been
thinking that setting RD in the Nokia flasher tool was somehow preferable
to a user hack...

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada