Re: Protecting data

You can use gpg (GNU Privacy Guard).

2008/5/24 David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@xxxxxxxx>:
I'm moving very slowly towards moving from a Palm TX for my walkaround
device to the N800. The N800 has much superior web browsing, a better
screen, a darned good ebook reader, and thought I don't have it yet I
hear there's a port of KeePass encrypted password database, which would
be compatible with what I use elsewhere so I can just drop the file on
the N800.  I've got an adequate email solution, working.  So if I find
an address database and a calendar I can stand, I'll be good.

Except that I don't dare take it out of the house.  There doesn't seem
to be any security.  Anybody who found it could access my email, the
passwords stored in the browser, the credit card information in the PIM
database, and so forth.   I found some kind of lock that takes a very
short numeric password, but that's inadequate.  And of course anything
on either of the two memory cards can be read in any device you put the
cards into, which means I really need encryption on them (or be sure
nothing sensitive is stored there).

Furthermore, startup is very slow, unless I just put it to sleep.  And
does waking up require re-authenticating?

I'm assuming I just lose on encrypting the memory cards; I suspect the
processor performance would make that a bad idea.  I can probably live
with that, with a little care on where things go.  But I need some kind
of authentication when I turn the device on or wake it up.  How do
people handle this?  Or do people just wander around with their
information ready to hand for the first person who snatches their toy?

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info