Re: Microb Versus Mozilla Fennec

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 3:48 PM,  <quim.gil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Of course, but the UI layer is deeper than that. I'm not sure the
> developers optimizing XUL for Fennec would agree on "the UI is a
> non-issue". Funtionality and performance in the UI layer is a serious
> issue for any browser development nowadays and the UI layer sitting on
> top of MicroB today still does a better job. May this change in the
> future? Sure it can, and we are following that as well, but here and now
> we need to keep shipping a browser for real mobile users and we don't
> have the luxury to wait until others have done it.
>
> But Mark, the important detail I will insist on is: we are not fighting,
> we are collaborating. It is our priority to be as aligned with Mozilla
> upstream as possible, as it is also our interest to follow and support
> Mozilla's success in the mobile context.
>
> --
> Quim Gil
> marketing manager, open source
> maemo software @ Nokia

I guess my main concern is that add-ons be supported so that missing
functionality can be put back in by the end user. MicroB currently
frustrates me because so much of the settings available in regular
Firefox are absent, and it's not possible to mitigate that with
add-ons.

As for comparing the Internet Tablets' browsing experience with other
devices, that's really not possible. No other device exists that is
marked as being specifically intended for that single purpose. Other
devices happen to include that functionality in addition to a bunch of
stuff that the ITs *don't* do (but easily could if the software
existed...). Like I said, if you're going to put "Internet" in the
name, then at least that set of functions should be very broadly
supported. There's no GUI ftp or telnet (secure or otherwise), Web
browsing has some firm limitations (but I will admit it could be a
*lot* worse), and other Internet functionality is missing.

One thing I've noticed is that there seems to be some kind of proxy
thing going on when I try to go to a Web site: instead of just going
directly to the site I selected, there's some sort of
"wysiwyg.something" address that shows in the address bar. Is it
attempting to show us a WAP page or something before referring the
real one?

Mark