Re: Decent PIM for the N8x0

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Graham Cobb <g+770@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 April 2008 15:18:01 hendrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>  > On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:40:30PM -0400, Gary Baribault wrote:
>
> > > I kind of wish that someone would start up an oposing PIM .. Any takers?
>  > > 450$ to play Mahjong or Blocks seems a little steep!
>
>  I didn't start working on GPE because I thought it was a great project: I
>  started working on GPE because I had a need for a PIM on the Internet Tablet
>  and it seemed more sensible to start with an existing piece of software and
>  make improvements rather than create something from scratch.
>
>  It doesn't seem likely to me that starting an opposing PIM would help.  There
>  are few enough people to work on one -- what would be achieved by trying to
>  work on two?  All of people's pet peeves with GPE (bugs, UI, features) could
>  be fixed if there were one or two more developers with time to make a
>  contribution.

I have to second this opinion. This is the problem with FOSS in
general - instead of solving the problems with an existing app (or
distro), people go off and start their own, thereby creating further
compatibility problems, increasing the amount of work done (and
duplicating a great deal of it) but greatly reducing overall progress.

Competition is only good when the competition is to solve existing
problems. When the competition is to create new ones, it's never good.
The idea that *any* competition is good is ignorant and misguided.
Constructive competition is competition that has structure and a
common direction. (Notice the common root word in "constructive" and
"structure"?)

"Progress" in opposite directions cancels out and *everybody* loses.

Mark