Online Status of Contacts Invisible after OS2008 Update on Week-old N810

After updating OS2008 via "apt-get dist-upgrade" (on a week-old N810),
I no longer see the online status of my contacts. Not in Speed
Contacts applets and not in Contacts, either.

My contacts still see MY online status on the N810 just fine—and we
can chat as before. However, I no longer see the green (online), red
(offline), or white question mark-on-blue (not authorized) balls next
to the names of my contacts. I though that perhaps the software update
(OS and many of the apps pre-installed) compromised the icons used to
show online status, but the list at "Contacts" -> "Online" remains
empty, even when some of my contacts definitely are online.

The problem occurs both with GTalk and (non-Google) Jabber accounts.

See http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19490
for some illustrating screenshots.

Ideas?

Thanks,