Re: GPE On Nokia N800 ITOS2007

Jonathan Markevich wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 1:09 AM, Mark Haury <wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Peter Bart wrote:
>

>     I don't use Evolution, Schedule world, or Google. I use Access and
>     up until now my Visor. I've been trying for a long time to migrate
>     my Access databases to OOo Base, but it can't import tables or csv
>     files any more than gpe can, and when connecting to the original
>     Access database can't deal with any of the other database objects
>     at all. Its report formatting is also incredibly limited at this
>     point. (In my opinion, Base is still alpha level software, utterly
>     unlike the rest of the suite.)
>

> Yeah you're better off working in MySQL, really.  But as long as you
> have Access, look for a sqlite odbc driver.  I think you can even open
> sqlite databases directly in Base.  You may be able to import and
> export on the desktop.
>
> You can import in Base from CSV by the way, it's just amazingly
> counterintuitive (though it makes a certain functional sense).  Create
> and register a DB first, then open the CSV file in Calc.  Click View -
> Data sources.  Open the DB tree to view "Tables".  Now select and drag
> the data and drop it on Tables.  Weird huh?
>
> Maybe this is the way to get your GPE data working for you...
>

>     If anybody can point me to a different cross-platform (mainly
>     Windows and Linux, but Mac would be a plus) database that has most
>     of the power and ease of Access (and the most important features
>     are reliable import/export of csv and the ability to create report
>     layouts from scratch), I would be *extremely* appreciative. I've
>     tried to learn about SQL and frontends for it, but everything I
>     can find basically assumes one already knows all about it and seem
>     to be based on scripting, and I need to work from a GUI, including
>     creating databases from scratch. The reason I need cross-platform
>     and GUI is so I can share it with others in my organization who
>     are not all that computer-literate and have different OS's than me.
>

> Well you could try FileMaker, only not for Linux... File-based
> databases are a little dead.  MS kinda locked the market, then pursued
> it as far as it can go.
>
> As for MySQL, you can do everything in their excellent GUI (or
> SQLYog), but you have to commit to a server-based database.  My we're
> getting off topic now, though aren't we...

To completely get off topic, try Glom - it's a desktop graphical
database thing (uses pgsql as backend I believe) and it has a maemo port
- you set up forms in developer mode on the desktop then you can have
essentially the same entry/review screen on the desktop and the tablet.
I haven't tried it on the tablet, but I have read about it on planet
gnome and have played with it on the desktop.

Ryan

--
Ryan Pavlik
www.cleardefinition.com