Re: Can't become root :-(

En/na Mark ha escrit:

> These problems remained even after I uninstalled fennec, so I figured
> the only way to get it back to the way it was before was to reflash
> the OS.

Strange, I had no such problems while trying fennec (though I later
uninstalled it)

> BIG MISTAKE #2!!!!!!!!
>
> After reflashing, not only did it make no difference to the browser's
> password manager (although it did fix the javascript issue), now I no
> longer have any possibility of becoming root. I've followed the exact
> same procedure that I did before, and am using the exact same version
> of OS2008, but now exactly *NONE* of the different ways of becoming
> root work. Regardless of what I try, I get some variation of this
> message:
>
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> @    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
> Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
> It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
> The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
> 7f:4b:ad:8e:cc:38:e5:53:26:a6:5e:af:9b:34:fe:51.
> Please contact your system administrator.
> Add correct host key in /home/user/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
> Offending key in /home/user/.ssh/known_hosts:5
> RSA host key for localhost has changed and you have requested strict checking.
> Host key verification failed.

edit /home/user/.ssh/known_hosts with a text editor (I use joe, but
there are other installable through application manager) and remove line 5.
Or simply try to delete/rename /home/user/.ssh/known_hosts.
Or install becomeroot and issue a "sudo gainroot" and, once you've done
it, disable root access via ssh (by editing /etc/ssh/sshd_config, it's
fully commented). If you know what you're doing you should also disable
password authentication altogether and only allow public key
authentication (there are many tutorials explaining how to do it).

Bye
--
Luca