Re: Is OS2006 still supported?

Hal Vaughan wrote:
> On Thursday 17 April 2008, Ryan Abel wrote:
>
>> Frédéric Mantegazza wrote:
>>
>>> As a new user of Nokia 770, I feel a little disapointed.
>>>
>> Such are the pitfalls of purchasing an almost 3 year old unsupported
>> product. ;)
>>

> Which tells me right off if I buy the latest, I can count on it being
> unsupported in 3 years.
>
> That's a pretty good reason for me to go elsewhere.  At least with a
> desktop, I can use Ubuntu and upgrade with each new release.
>
> I'm serious about this.  I have an N770 and was planning on using it as
> part of a carputer interface and there are other things I was going to
> be adding along the way, but over the past year, I've asked myself if I
> want to stick with this product because I see little effort for
> backporting.  Once the new toy comes out, the old ones are essentially
> abandon.  While that happens with things like Windows, one reason I
> stick with Linux on most things is because most Linux stuff doesn't
> play the, "Spend more money now to upgrade or be left behind" game.
>

> Hal

Do note that the "leaving behind" of the N770 already provoked a very
large consumer reaction and Nokia has admitted "mea culpa" so to speak
and is at least saying it will act differently.  So far, it seems to be
the case, so they may have learned their lesson here - you just came a
bit late to the 770 getting upset at Nokia party. :)

Ryan

--
Ryan Pavlik
www.cleardefinition.com