launching scripts/apps from desktop icons

On my desktop I don't have much time for the GUI; I find it much easier
to type "ls -lt foo*" than wait for some app to paint 2000 icons I'm
supposed to choose from. But I have a few Gnome toolbar icons I have
tied to commands like
  xterm -e "ssh -i foo me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
using "create launcher".

Is it possible to do this in maemo/Hildon on the Nokia tablets ?
One page I looked at seemed to be saying applications needed to be
rewritten to use the hildon manager, which seems a lot of effort just to
get a launcher button.

Apart from wanting to have a button to do scripts like the above, I was
trying to run example_camera (from
garage.maemo.org/svn/maemoexamples/trunk/) from a button. Works from the
command line; doesn't start properly from a button (or maybe I just
haven't got the files set up properly)

Andrew