GPE & ICS/WebDAV/CalDAV

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, James Knott wrote:

> Is it possible to sync the GPE calendar with Google calendar?

On a closely related topic, is is possible to connect GPE to a
standards-based online calendar, as with Mozilla Sunbird ?

(I haven't actually tried GPE yet, so please excuse if it's obvious)

We have spent some time trying to decide on a sitewide shared caledaring
system, and finally picked Bedework as being standards-based (CalDAV)
with a Web interface as well. I've also been playing with WebDAV and
CalDAV servers, and have some read-only calendars in ICS v2.0 format
(there's a ton on the Web).
Of course, I should be able to just use the Bedework Web interface, but
it would be nice to download events to a local client for going out of
WiFi range..

As I recall, Google support HTTP/ICS download but use their own API for
upload - maybe CalDAV was not mature enough at the time.
CalDAV in theory is more efficient than WebDAV as calendars can be
updated with a single event rather than uploading the entire thing, and
also supports scheduling via a free/busy mechanism - theoretically,
across multiple servers so that you can schedule meetings between groups
at two different institutions.

As to why not everyone use Google - some organizations and countries
forbid storing private information offsite/offshore, espcially somewhere
subject to the "Patriot Act".

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)