GPE & Google calendar

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 12:39 PM, James Knott <james.knott at rogers.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to sync the GPE calendar with Google calendar?

Yes and no.  As mentioned, Erminig is the thing that will do it.  However,
there are some problems that I've run into that make it impossible for it to
fully sync sometimes.  It doesn't seem to handle repeating events well.
There are some notes about it but I can't remember exactly what causes it to
break.  It will simply hang in the middle of a sync, never finishing.  I've
done some digging but the GData API and the GPE calendar database interface
code is fairly complex and I believe the author no longer has time/interest
in working on it.  It's on my list of things to do since it's so critical to
be able to enter appointments on the desktop and have them present on the
tablet for alarms and reference.

There's a second option: using gpesyncd and opensync but I've not tried it
before and I belive it works with the Evolution Email/PIM software instead.
Just something to look for when trying to find a way to make it happen.  I
find it very disappointing that Nokia doesn't seem to care about such basic
and important functionality.  It adds value and makes the tablet much more
than just something that surfs the web 'Ok' and plays music/video fairly
well (Canola).  They don't seem to recognize that it's as important a
requirement for some of us as a touch-screen, Bluetooth, or Wi-fi.  If Palm
Pilots could do it over ten years ago, somehow we should be able to do it
now.

Larry