Connecting N8*0 to laptop - USB or Ad-Hoc WiFi ?

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Ryan Pavlik wrote:

> You should be able to join (or even create!) an ad-hoc (Computer-to-Computer)
> network with the N810 - I see them all the time on my network list.

OK, yes - my old Dell with an Orinoco card will do ad-hoc in both Windows
and Linux. The N810 shows an icon with a little blob over it to
differentiate it from AP.

My not-quite-so-old IBM Thinkpad with internal Atheros chip doesn't want
to do ad-hoc in Linux (with the atheros driver). In Windows I just got
confused as there are IBM and Microsoft managers fighting to control the
card. The Orinoco manager on the Dell was easy.

BT might work; I'd have to buy a BT adapter as neither laptop has it,
plus at this point I don't have much experience with BT (beyond buying
Logitech's nice Denovo keyboard+basestation and pressing a button to
pair them...)

Andrew