Connecting N8*0 to laptop - USB or Ad-Hoc WiFi ?

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 08:35:06PM +0200, Tilman Vogel wrote:
> Even though it may be embarrassing, I sometimes just use Bluetooth OBEX
> push to transfer files between my laptop and my N810/770. I haven't done
> it yet, but I guess one could also set up TCP/IP over it. Maybe using
> PPP over /dev/rfcommX.

That is certainly one possibility.  I had my laptop set up as a PPP
server over rfcomm, and had my Palm do dial-up to it.

Another possibility would be Bluetooth PAN (Personal Area Network).
I've no personal experience with this, but I've seen it mentioned on
this list, and I've also seen some Maemo Extras packages with names
hinting at this purpose.

Ad-hoc WiFi would be simpler, if your laptop supports it.  Many Linux
wireless drivers don't support ad-hoc or master modes. :(

Marius Gedminas
--
2B OR NOT 2B == FF