Locked out of my own machine?!?!? - solved!

Thanks all, I managed to git 'r done. It still makes for some serious
inconvenience when trying to do certain things, though. Frankly, I
don't understand why the draconian login security measures in the
first place. It's not like your data is going to be safe if someone
gets physical access to your device, and in the highly unlikely event
that some malware got installed it would be zapped the next time you
reflash anyway. Remote attacks are highly unlikely in the mobile
environment, considering the extremely limited amount of time to even
notice that you're there, much less do anything about it. The Ubuntu
approach to logins would have been a heck of a lot more appropriate.

Mark