startup questions

En/na Chuck Robey ha escrit:

> with --disable-rd-mode.  Is this the method I gotta use, or is there
> possibly some easier way to go about getting the root password?  I mean,
> when I flash OS2008, what the heck did it set the root password to?  This
> can't be true, it really seems to be an incredibly paranoid way to go about
> things.

It's easier and safer to just install the "becomeroot" package, then in
a terminal issue "sudo gainroot".
Search for becomeroot here: http://www.gronmayer.com/it/

> Just what is the rd mode?

research & development?

> Second, if I have the machine hooked up to the power supply, I want to have
> the machine NEVER dim the screen, NEVER have the machine go to sleep.  Is
> there any way to go about this?

I think there's a setting for it in the control panel of OS2008

> Lastly, is there some way to cause this machine to go into a sleeping mode,
> so it doesn't need full reboot?  If I do that, how do I go about safely
> waking the machine back up again?

It's usually enough to lock the touchscreen (power button and then
central d-pad button) the same sequence will unlock it.

Bye
--
Luca